The only member of the one Montana family who has nine lives helped the whole clan cheat death after detecting a dangerous gas leak as the household slept.
On Saturday, April 10, the 3-year-old cat Schnautzie was given the PurplePaw award from the Great Falls Animal Foundation at the annual Fur Ball event, the Great Falls Tribune reports.
"The goal is to find an animal who, in a very, very special way, shows the human-animal bond," Sally Cerny, of the Animal Foundation, told the news source.
Schnautzie certainly fit the requirements. In October of 2007, the fortunate feline, who belongs to Trudy and Greg Guy, climbed on to Trudy's chest in the middle of the night, and began sniffing the air - something she had never done before.
As Trudy puts it, "It was bothering me - I knew something wasn't right."
Sure enough, when she arose to survey the house, Trudy heard a roaring sound coming from a bathroom and soon discovered that the gas pipe had snapped, causing a steady flow of gas to be pumped into the house's basement.
Firefighter's later informed the Guys that they may have been just minutes from disaster. Schnautzie had been one of the 3 to 4 million cats to enter animal rescue
shelters each year, according to the Humane Society, but now enjoys the affection and appreciation of the owners she saved.