no spam, unsubscribe anytime.
On May 4, 2012, Diamond Pet Foods expanded a pet food recall due to possible salmonella contamination. More than a dozen people in several states may have been infected due to contact with contaminated pet food. Affected foods include specific lots of dry dog and cat food branded as:
Diamond Pet Food
Kirkland Signature (Costco brand)
Wellness (WelPet LLC)
Apex Pet Foods
Solid Gold Health Products For Pets, Inc.
These foods were widely distributed in the U.S. and Canada.
You can check your pet food to see if it has been recalled. Affected bags of food have best-before dates between December 9, 2012, and April 7, 2013. Recalled foods include:
· Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
· Country Value
· Diamond Naturals
· Premium Edge
· Taste of the Wild
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula
· Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
· Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy
· Canidae Dog, All Life Stages
· Canidae Dog, Chicken Meal & Rice
· Canidae Dog, Lamb Meal & Rice
· Canidae Dog, Platinum
· Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog
· Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog
· Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog
· Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog
· Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Large Breed Bites
· Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Small Breed Bites
· WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food
· Solid Gold WolfKing Large Breed Adult Dog
Salmonella is a bacterial infection that can affect both animals and humans. Symptoms may include decreased appetite, diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Pets and people who carry the disease can infect others, so if you or your pet are experiencing symptoms and you have purchased and used the affected dog food, take all due precaution and see a doctor and/or veterinarian. You can prevent spread of the disease by washing your hands thoroughly and following physician instructions.
If you have purchased one of the recalled pet foods, you should immediately stop feeding it to your animals, and contact the place you purchased the pet food from - refunds may be available. For complete information, visit the Diamond Pet Foods recall page, the Costco pet product recall pages, the Natural Balance recall page, the Wellness recall page, the Canidae recall page, the Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. recall page, or the FDA's recall page, which has information on multiple brands in the Animal Health section. The CDC also has information on documented salmonella contamination.