Though the old stereotype is that there is no greater treat for dogs than a giant bone to gnaw on, experts at the Food and Drug Administration suggests owners should toss the table scraps and stick to foods specially designed for canines, according to the Washington Post.
Experts told the news source that eating bones can lead to broken teeth as well as mouth and tongue wounds, and that bone fragments can become stuck in a dog's esophagus or stomach.
More seriously, bacteria from the bone could lead to an internal bacterial infection within your pooch's stomach, called peritonitis. The condition could become deadly if not treated.
"Some people think it's safe to give dogs large bones, like those from a ham or a roast," said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA. "Bones are unsafe no matter what their size."
So, what should pet lovers give to their furry friends? We suggest sticking to dog biscuits!
Those who love animals but don't have room for one of their own could donate packaged dog treats to their local animal rescue