Take Action to Save Pandas from Extinction
10,449 signatures toward our 30,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Rainforest Site
The panda is a symbol of conservation, but it is facing a number of threats that could drive it to extinction. Take action!
The giant panda, Ailuropoda melanoleuca, is one of the most beloved and recognizable animals in the world. With its distinctive black and white fur and docile nature, the panda has become a symbol of conservation efforts worldwide.
Unfortunately, despite its popularity, the panda is facing a number of threats that could drive it to extinction.
One of the primary threats to the panda population is habitat loss1. The giant panda is native to central China, where it lives in dense bamboo forests at high elevations.
However, as human populations have grown and development has increased, these forests have been cleared for agriculture, logging, and other uses2. This has fragmented the panda's habitat, leaving isolated pockets of bamboo that are too small to support a viable population.
Another major threat to the panda population is poaching. Although hunting pandas is illegal in China, their pelts and body parts are still highly valued on the black market. This has led to a decline in the number of wild pandas, as poachers target the remaining populations3.
Climate change is also having an impact on the panda population. As temperatures rise and rainfall patterns shift, the bamboo forests that pandas rely on for food are changing4. This can lead to a decline in the availability of bamboo, which can be particularly problematic for pandas, as bamboo makes up 99% of their diet5.
In addition to these threats, pandas also face challenges related to their reproductive biology. Pandas have a low reproductive rate, and females are only able to reproduce for a few days each year. This, combined with the small population size, makes it difficult for the population to recover from losses6.
To combat these threats and protect the panda population, conservation efforts have been undertaken by organizations such as the World Wildlife Fund7and the China Wildlife Conservation Association8 . These efforts include habitat protection, anti-poaching measures, and breeding programs to increase the population.
While these efforts have had some success, much more needs to be done to ensure the survival of the giant panda. With habitat loss, poaching, climate change and low reproductive rate, pandas face a number of threats that could drive them to extinction. However, there are many ways that people can contribute to panda conservation and help save this species from going extinct.
Take the pledge to save pandas and protect these beautiful animals for future generations!
- World Wildlife Fund (2023), "Giant Panda."
- Liu Qin, Earth Journalism Network (27 October 2015), "Commercial logging threatens panda survival."
- Red Panda Network (24 November 2021), "'Our Goal is Zero Panda Poaching': Q&A with Frontliners of our Campaign to Stop the Illegal Red Panda Trade."
- World Wildlife Fund (2023), "Giant Pandas and Climate Change."
- Chris Quan, China Highlights (17 November 2021), "What Do Pandas Eat? And Other Fun Eating Facts."
- Erin McCarthy (14 September 2012), "Why Is it so Hard for Pandas to Get Pregnant?"
- World Wide Fund For Nature (2020), "The Future."
- Lasso China (16 August 2011), "China Wildlife Conservation Association."
With habitat loss, poaching, climate change and low reproductive rate, pandas face a number of threats that could drive them to extinction.
As such, I pledge to take the following actions:
1. Choose responsible sourced products
I will support panda conservation by choosing products that are responsibly sourced and don't contribute to habitat destruction. In particular, I will research to make sure the bamboo products I buy have been certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) as safe for panda habitat.
2. Learn about the issues pandas face I pledge to become more informed about the issues facing pandas and spreading awareness to others. Educating myself about the threats pandas face and sharing this information with friends and family can help raise awareness about the importance of conservation and inspire others to take action.
3. Reduce your environmental impact I pledge to make changes in my own life to reduce my impact on the environment. Simple steps like reducing my carbon footprint, using sustainable products, and recycling can help mitigate the effects of climate change and preserve panda habitat.
4. Support active conservation efforts I pledge to advocate for the panda breeding and research centers like the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, and the Wolong National Nature Reserve. These centers work to protect and study pandas, and visitors can also learn more about pandas, and contribute to conservation efforts.
5. Support organizations that are saving the panda I pledge to support organizations that work to protect pandas and their habitat. Organizations like Greater Good Charities and Project Peril work to protect pandas and their habitat, and also raise awareness about the plight of the giant panda. By donating to or supporting these programs, I can help fund conservation efforts and make a real difference for pandas.
By taking these actions, I pledge to help save the panda from extinction.