Stop the Canadian Seal Slaughter
73,111 signatures toward our 100,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Animal Rescue Site
Urge Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to put an end to his country's barbaric seal hunt.
In recent years, hundreds of thousands of Canada's seals have been killed in annual "seal hunts." The hunters beat helpless baby seals to death with clubs. The fishermen who perform these hunts make an average of one-twentieth of their incomes from seal hunting — this is not their livelihood.
The hunt starts again every April. We cannot allow this savage cruelty to continue. Sign the petition below telling Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to put an end to Canada's seal massacre.
- 04/26/13: Earlier this week, the European Union's General Court upheld the EU ban on the commercial trade of seal products. The victory comes just before the World Trade Organization hosts a second round of hearings to determine the legality of the ban according to international trade rules. The EU ban demonstrates the general lack of demand for seal products and denies one more market to an already collapsing industry.
Trade Lawyer Hannes Schloemann explains why the ban is justified on legal and moral grounds.
- 04/09/13: Demand for seal products continues to evaporate, yet the commercial hunt has started once again. Under pressure from the industry, politicians continue to endorse the annual "seal hunt", legally sanctioning and even subsidizing this inhumane practice, squandering tens of millions of tax dollars in the process. This doesn't even include the incalculable damage to Canada's reputation and tourism. Sign below and tell Canada to stop subsidizing slaughter.
- 03/01/13: Following the final arguments in Geneva, animal advocates must now wait several months as the World Trade Organization deliberates the legality of the European Union's ban on seal products. It remains uncertain whether the WTO will come down on the side of ethics or profits for a waning industry. In the meantime, we can continue to speak out against this unnecessarily cruel practice by signing the petition to end the Canadian seal hunt.
- 02/18/13: All eyes are on Geneva this week as Canada challenges the European Union's 2009 ban on seal products. In a series of hearings, the World Trade Organization will determine whether the ban violates trade principles while the EU defends the policy to protect public morality and animal health. Tell Canada not only that the ban is justified but also that Canada needs to join the rest of the modern world and end the annual seal hunt — sign below!
- 01/09/13: PETA named Senator Mac Harb their 2012 Canadian of the Year for his tireless efforts to eliminate Canada's commercial seal hunts. His trademark legislation, Bill S-210, remains under consideration by Parliament where it faces contentious opposition. Show your support for this measure by continuing to sign below.
- 10/19/12: Thanks to pressure from concerned individuals and organizations world-wide, the debate surrounding this controversial practice remains alive in Canadian Parliament. In the latest move, Senator Mac Harb continued his quest to end the seal hunt once and for all with Bill S-210.
- 05/10/12: 6,669 signatures sent on 05/10. Please continue to support this important cause by signing if you haven't already. Thank you!
Want to know more about Canada's annual seal hunts? Read on:
The Canadian seal hunt is nothing short of a brutal slaughter that claims the lives of tens of thousands of seals each year. Commercial seal hunters savagely club these beautiful animals over the head or shoot them from a boat, often not checking to see if the animal is actually dead. It's a terrible and painful way to die. The hunters are brutal intentionally: baby seal fur is used by the garment industry, which does not pay as well if the fur is damaged. The easiest way to ensure that the fur is undamaged is to club the panicked baby seals into submission and, for the fortunate victims, death. Many others are skinned alive.
Canada's government has done nothing to combat this terrible cruelty. In fact, not only does the government help sponsor the hunts, it also subsidizes and promotes them, hoping the income will fuel the economy. Canadian fishermen and others with interest in the fishing industry consistently create buzz around the need for seal products, thereby tricking the public into thinking the hunts are necessary. The truth is that demand for seal products is declining, there is practically no commercial demand for seal meat (which is discarded on the ice), and seal hunting is not a desperately-needed livelihood—it accounts for a mere one-twentieth of the average fisherman's income.
This year, the seals are in even more dire straits. The ice that they need to breed and grow up is at a record low. In spite of the unprecedented ice conditions, hunters will arrive at seal breeding sites with clubs and guns in hand, and begin to ruthlessly murder these beautiful creatures. They simply kill as many seals as they wish, including mothers and their pups. If a mother has been killed by an attack, but her pup has managed to survive, it's likely he still will not survive as the loss of his mother means he must now find food on his own. Too often baby seals are orphaned, for they're much too young to fend for themselves and consequently doomed for starvation.
Seals are already struggling to survive in the face of global warming, and seal hunts only add to the consistently-rising death toll. Sign the petition asking Canada's prime minister Justin Trudeau to stop the 2012 hunt and put an end to the violent seal slaughter forever.
Dear Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:
I am outraged at Canada's bloody commercial slaughter of innocent seals. Each year, these precious creatures fall prey to the hands of selfish hunters—fisherman who use rifles and clubs to beat and kill seals. Baby seals are often the first to be targeted.
It's bad enough that seals are facing new challenges with global warming depleting their environment and food resources. The seal population is suffering greatly as a result of climate change, yet Canadian seal hunters pay no mind and forge ahead with their inhumane and savage attacks.
What's worse is that seals are being killed mainly so that their pelts can be sold to fashion houses. The fishermen who perform these hunts make an average of one-twentieth of their incomes from seal hunting—this is not their livelihood, and they have no regard for the future of the seals or what their actions could mean for the future of our planet.
We have a responsibility to take care of our environment and the creatures that inhabit it. The Canadian seal slaughter demonstrates some of the most environmentally unsustainable and blatantly inhumane actions imaginable. We cannot allow this savage practice to continue. Please take the necessary steps to ensure this barbaric hunt comes to a halt, permanently.
Updates:On 9/19/2014, we mailed 61,283 signatures to Prime Minister Harper showing your support for the end to the seal hunts. While we await a response, please continue to sign and share this petition to advocate for innocent seals.