Protect Pets From Fall Hazards
5,408 signatures toward our 30,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Animal Rescue Site
From toxic treats to sneaky scents, and even seemingly harmless decorations, there's more than meets the eye. Take action for pet safety!
As autumn paints the world with vibrant hues and cool breezes, it's the season to cherish moments with your pets amidst falling leaves and cozy blankets. However, the joys of fall come hand-in-paw with hidden dangers that can threaten the well-being of your furry companions. The question is, are you prepared to safeguard your pets from these seasonal perils?
Why Vigilance Matters This Fall
Fall is a magical season, but it's also a time when pet owners need to be extra vigilant. The very things that make fall special—delicious foods, aromatic scents, and cozy decorations—can pose unexpected threats to your pets. Here's why it's crucial to stay on high alert:
Seasonal Foods: As Halloween and Thanksgiving approach, you might be tempted to share your festive meals with your pets. Yet, some "people foods" can lead to health issues, ranging from choking hazards to toxic reactions1.
Candles, Scents, and Decor: The comforting scents of autumn—pumpkin spice, apple cider, and cinnamon—can create a warm ambiance. However, candles and scented items can be hazardous for your pets, from burns to respiratory irritations2.
Plants and Greenery: Decorating your home with potted plants and seasonal foliage can enhance the festive atmosphere. But beware! Some plants and vegetation can be harmful to your pets3.
Decorations: Fall decorations are fun, but items like fake spider webs, decorative corn, and wires can pose hazards if your curious pets get too close4.
Lawn and Garden Care: Preparing your lawn and garden for the changing season often involves chemicals that can harm your pets5.
Fall Allergies: Just like humans, pets can suffer from fall allergies triggered by ragweed and mold spores, leading to symptoms like itching and sneezing6.
Take the Pledge to Protect Your Pets
Your pets rely on you to keep them safe, and you're not alone in this mission. We invite you to take the pledge—a commitment to protect your pets from fall dangers.
Don't wait until it's too late. Sign the pledge to protect your pets from fall dangers and encourage others to do the same. Let's embrace the beauty of autumn while keeping our beloved companions out of harm's way.
- Nestlé Purina, "Toxic Foods for Dogs and Cats."
- Lauren Lee, GoodRx Health (16 December 2022), "Are Scented Candles Bad for Dogs? How to Keep Your Pup Safe."
- Hanie Elfenbein, DVM, PetMD (12 June 2019), "Poisonous Plants for Dogs."
- Cortney Moore, Fox News (24 September 2023), "Wildlife experts advise against using fake spiderwebs as Halloween decor."
- ImpriMed, Inc. (14 February 2022), "How Chemical Lawn Care is Hurting Your Dog and How to Keep Them Safe."
- Malcolm Weir, Catherine Barnette, Ernest Ward, VCA Animal Hospitals (2023), "Allergies in Dogs."
As pet owners, we adore our furry companions and strive to give them the happiest and healthiest lives possible. Yet, the fall season, with its captivating festivities and hidden dangers, requires us to be extra vigilant in safeguarding our pets. The cool breeze and colorful leaves bring not only joy but also a unique set of threats to our beloved animals.
During autumn, various hazards lurk that can jeopardize our pets' well-being, ranging from toxic seasonal foods to scented candles and plants that pose health risks. Ensuring the safety of our furry friends demands our attention and proactive measures to mitigate these dangers.
I pledge to take the following actions to protect my pets from fall dangers:
- Educate Myself: I will stay informed about fall-related pet dangers by researching and seeking advice from veterinarians and reputable sources.
- Avoid Toxic Foods: I will keep my pets away from seasonal foods that are harmful to them, such as chocolate, grapes, and nuts.
- Remove Apple Seeds: When sharing apples with my pets, I will always remove the seeds to prevent cyanide ingestion.
- Secure Trash Bins: I will ensure that my trash bins are securely closed to prevent my pets from digging into harmful food scraps.
- Choose Pet-Friendly Decor: I will select decorations that are safe for pets and keep enticing but dangerous items like fake spider webs out of their reach.
- Use Pet-Safe Scents: I will opt for pet-safe candles or consider flameless alternatives to enhance the ambiance without risking burns or respiratory issues.
- Be Cautious with Essential Oils: I will consult a veterinarian before using essential oils around my pets and will use them cautiously, keeping them out of reach.
- Check Plants for Toxicity: I will thoroughly research any plants or greenery I bring into my home to ensure they are non-toxic to pets.
- Secure Wires and Cords: I will securely fasten decorative wires and cords to prevent my pets from chewing on them.
- Practice Safe Lawn Care: I will be cautious when using chemicals like pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, ensuring my pets stay away from treated areas.
By taking these actions, I pledge to create a happier, safer future for my pets and all animals. Together, we can cherish the beauty of autumn while keeping our beloved companions out of harm's way.